- Sam Dekker issues strong response to J.R. Smith’s accusation that he supports Donald Trump
- Report: Cavs to hold pre-draft workouts for Obi Toppin, other top prospects this week
- J.R. Smith says former Cavs swingman was only teammate he couldn’t ‘stand’ in entire NBA career
- Report: J.B. Bickerstaff reveals ‘positive’ conversations with Andre Drummond about future with Cavs
- Skip Bayless makes strong argument why he would take 2016 Cavs over 2020 Lakers
- LeBron James gets ‘chills’ rewatching Cavs’ historic NBA Finals win over Warriors
- Andre Drummond hints at working towards major evolution in his game
- Video: Cavs big man seen getting schooled by WNBA star in 1-on-1 matchup
- J.R. Smith says Cavs championship team was ‘grittier,’ ‘nastier,’ and played ‘harder’ than Lakers
- Report: Celtics monitoring ‘uncomfortable’ contract talks between Cavs and Andre Drummond
Report: Cavs confidently view J.B. Bickerstaff as ‘head coach of the future’
- Updated: September 22, 2020
Spencer Davies of BasketballNews.com offered an assessment of the Cavaliers as they continue their rebuilding effort that looks to blend experienced veterans with up-and-coming young players.
“He’s the right guy for what we’re doing right now,” a team source said of Bickerstaff. “We have our head coach of the future. And we have some continuity moving forward.”
Bickerstaff took over the Cavaliers after the All-Star Break in February when former head coach John Beilein resigned after compiling a 14-40 record.
In Bickerstaff’s 11 games at the helm, the Cavs nearly played .500 ball and defeated teams like the Miami Heat and Denver Nuggets. A more competitive fire on the part of the team was also evident.
Bickerstaff has previously been an NBA head coach, and he’s already shown that he can connect with Cavaliers players.
Having Bickerstaff in place for next season will hopefully tamp down the turmoil that’s followed the Cavaliers over the past two seasons.
During that span, Bickerstaff is the fourth head coach the team has had. The 38-109 team record over that span is indicative of how chaotic things have been.
The Cavaliers hold the fifth overall pick in November’s NBA draft, though there is speculation that they may trade the pick. Whichever course they take, Bickerstaff is assured on being in the coaching box for the Cavs.