- Report: Some Cavs members thought Dylan Windler was ‘destined’ for starting spot last season
- Report: Cavs have been ‘impressed’ by Isaac Okoro in team training camp
- Report: Major update offered on Kevin Porter Jr.’s weapons and drug charges
- Cavs fans salivate via social media at thought of LeBron James retiring in Cleveland with son Bronny
- Cavs release first half of 2020-21 NBA schedule
- Report: Several key Cavs players miss Friday’s practice due to COVID-19
- Tristan Thompson explains how he’ll help take Celtics, Jayson Tatum to ‘whole different level’
- Report: Cavs guard Darius Garland put on insane amount of weight over summer
- LeBron James infers Cavs would’ve lost 2016 title to Warriors in bubble environment
- Report: Big part of Cavs winning 2016 title was team’s players taking dumps before games
NBA Executive Doubts Kyrie Irving Will Respect Steve Nash as Head Coach
- Updated: September 4, 2020
The Brooklyn Nets made a huge splash on Thursday when they hired Hall of Fame point guard Steve Nash to be their next head coach.
While the hire seems to be in line with superstar Kevin Durant’s wishes, as Durant was on the Golden State Warriors while Nash was a player development coach there, it may not mesh well with point guard Kyrie Irving.
One NBA executive is not sure if Irving will respect Nash as his new head coach.
“I like it,” an Eastern Conference general manager told HoopsHype about the Nash hire. “I am not sure if Kyrie will respect Nash as a coach, but I think it’s a great hire. I think Steve displays a lot of the attributes, which are important to building a winning culture. He has a great basketball IQ. He’s been around Kerr the past couple of years, and he’ll assemble a great staff. Bird had never coached, and he was one of the best coaches the Pacers ever had. Larry created a winning culture, which resonated with the team.”
Irving has been criticized for not always being the best locker room guy. That was especially true during his time on the Boston Celtics.
Irving also had his fair share of issues while he was a member of the Cleveland Cavaliers.
However, it probably is a leap to already say that he may not respect Nash.
The Nets will rely heavily on Irving and Durant to carry the team next season.
Irving is searching for his first NBA title without LeBron James. The duo won the 2016 NBA Finals with the Cavs.