- Report: Kevin Porter Jr. accused of punching a woman in the face in downtown Cleveland
- Channing Frye rips Milwaukee Bucks and Giannis Antetokounmpo after Jrue Holiday trade
- Report: Cavs playing crucial role in helping Bucks complete Jrue Holiday trade
- Report: Andre Drummond makes final decision regarding player option with Cavs
- Report: ‘90 percent’ chance Andre Drummond opts into player option with Cavs
- Scary details of Kevin Porter Jr.’s arrest reveal loaded handgun, marijuana and overturned vehicle
- Report: Cavs expected to draft Obi Toppin at No. 5 pick if Deni Avdija is ‘off the board’
- Report: Andre Drummond expected to pick up option in order to facilitate trade
- Cavs break silence regarding Kevin Porter Jr.’s troubling arrest
- Report: Celtics offered multiple 1st-round picks for Cavs’ No. 5 overall pick
Cavs News: 4 Coaches Promoted to Complete Team’s Coaching Staff
- Updated: August 23, 2019
On Wednesday, the team completed the hiring process for the staff by promoting four members of the organization: Dan Geriot, Steve Frankoski, Michael Hartman and Sam Jones.
Geriot will serve as a Cavs assistant coach, having worked his way up in the organization after beginning as a seasonal video coordinator during the Cavaliers’ title winning 2015-16 season. He then became the team’s assistant video coordinator/coaching assistant for two seasons before then serving as assistant coach/player development last season.
Frankoski will become the team’s player development coach. He’s worked for the Cavs as both a video assistant and in player development during his three seasons with the team.
Hartman will become the Cavaliers’ director of coaching analytics/player development, having spent the past two seasons with the team in a variety of capacities. In addition to serving as a college scout, he’s also worked to implement an analytics approach using technology in different areas. These included roster planning, trade evaluation, analyzing the team’s salary cap and preparing for the annual draft.
Jones becomes the Cavs’ player development coordinator after having coached for the team’s G League squad. Last season, he was the Charge’s associate head coach, with his emphasis this year being on developing those players who will be playing for the Charge and Cavaliers, including players on two-way contracts.
Along with those hirings, the Cavaliers also announced other organizational moves. The trio of Mike Gerrity (director of player development/assistant coach), Dan Vincent (head video coordinator/player development) and Andrew Olson (shooting coach) will all return, with Gerrity and Vincent having lengthy tenures with the team.
Also, J.J. Outlaw (assistant coach/player development), Chris Darnell (player development/video assistant) and Jay Shunnar (special assistant to the head coach) will be new members of the organization. Outlaw and Darnell worked for different NBA teams last season, while Shunnar served as Beilein’s graduate assistant last season at the University of Michigan.