- Cavs Owner Dan Gilbert Pens Emotional Statement After Passing of Fred McLeod
- Austin Carr Can’t Hold Back Tears When Discussing Partnership With Fred McLeod
- Kevin Durant Says He Was Never One of Warriors, Calls Kyrie Irving ‘Best Friend’ in Entire League
- LeBron James, Channing Frye, and Cavs Players Respond to Passing of Fred McLeod
- Report: Cavs Mourn Passing of Play-By-Play Announcer Fred McLeod
- Cavs Rumors: Tristan Thompson Got Into Heated Altercation With Kanye West
- Darius Garland Impresses Both Ben Simmons and Renowned NBA Trainer With ‘Unlimited’ Range
- Cedi Osman Hits Buzzer-Beater, Dominates World Cup Game
- Report: Anderson Varejao Hints He’s Interested in Coming Back to Cavs
- Former NBA Big Man Thinks LeBron James, Cavs Prepared for Spurs Over Warriors in 2015
Former Cavs Head Coach Announces He Suffers From Multiple Sclerosis
- Updated: August 19, 2019
However, he’s now facing a much more serious challenge regarding his health after announcing that he’s battling multiple sclerosis.
— Emiliano Carchia (@Carchia) August 19, 2019
After coaching for decades at the international level, Blatt was named the Cavs head coach on June 20, 2014, with the team still in the midst of a lengthy rebuilding project.
That quickly made the Cavs prime contenders for an NBA title, with the team eventually reaching the 2015 finals before falling to the Golden State Warriors in six games.
Getting to that point didn’t come without turmoil within the team, however, with some rumors suggesting that Blatt would be fired during the regular season.
Midway through the 2015-16 season, Blatt was abruptly fired and replaced by Tyronn Lue, despite the Cavaliers having the best record in the Eastern Conference at the time.
Blatt ended his tenure with the Cavs with a regular season record of 83-40 (.675). He then returned to international coaching by spending two seasons in the Turkish Super League before moving to the Greek Basketball League to coach Olympiacos.
Despite his diagnosis, the 60-year-old Blatt intends to continue coaching, with one more year remaining on his contract.