- Report: Cavs playing crucial role in helping Bucks complete Jrue Holiday trade
- Report: Andre Drummond makes final decision regarding player option with Cavs
- Report: ‘90 percent’ chance Andre Drummond opts into player option with Cavs
- Scary details of Kevin Porter Jr.’s arrest reveal loaded handgun, marijuana and overturned vehicle
- Report: Cavs expected to draft Obi Toppin at No. 5 pick if Deni Avdija is ‘off the board’
- Report: Andre Drummond expected to pick up option in order to facilitate trade
- Cavs break silence regarding Kevin Porter Jr.’s troubling arrest
- Report: Celtics offered multiple 1st-round picks for Cavs’ No. 5 overall pick
- Cavs news: Kevin Porter Jr. arrested on weapons charges
- Report: Veteran big man would ‘love to play’ for Cavs as free agency nears
Former Cavs Head Coach Announces He Suffers From Multiple Sclerosis
- Updated: August 19, 2019
However, he’s now facing a much more serious challenge regarding his health after announcing that he’s battling multiple sclerosis.
— Emiliano Carchia (@Carchia) August 19, 2019
After coaching for decades at the international level, Blatt was named the Cavs head coach on June 20, 2014, with the team still in the midst of a lengthy rebuilding project.
That quickly made the Cavs prime contenders for an NBA title, with the team eventually reaching the 2015 finals before falling to the Golden State Warriors in six games.
Getting to that point didn’t come without turmoil within the team, however, with some rumors suggesting that Blatt would be fired during the regular season.
Midway through the 2015-16 season, Blatt was abruptly fired and replaced by Tyronn Lue, despite the Cavaliers having the best record in the Eastern Conference at the time.
Blatt ended his tenure with the Cavs with a regular season record of 83-40 (.675). He then returned to international coaching by spending two seasons in the Turkish Super League before moving to the Greek Basketball League to coach Olympiacos.
Despite his diagnosis, the 60-year-old Blatt intends to continue coaching, with one more year remaining on his contract.