- Collin Sexton opens up on why Cavs needed blowout loss versus Celtics
- Report: Brooklyn Nets are hoping Andre Drummond gets bought out by Cleveland Cavaliers
- Report: LeBron James gave Cavs teammates ‘300’ style Spartan shields before facing Warriors in 2016 Finals
- Report: Larry Nance Jr. to miss Monday’s game vs. Lakers with new injury
- Report: Cavs could try to flip Andre Drummond and Kevin Love for draft capital
- Report: Nets in ‘active discussions’ with Cavs for JaVale McGee, also interested in Kevin Love
- Report: Darius Garland was ‘hurt’ when Cavs and Tristan Thompson parted ways
- Report: Nets to make run at acquiring Cavs backup center JaVale McGee
- Report: Cavs had chance to acquire DeAndre Jordan in 2018 with LeBron James on team
- Report: Some Cavs veterans ‘resented’ Collin Sexton in 2018, wanted to trade for one last shot at title
Report: Cavs Have Discussed Trading J.R. Smith for Kent Bazemore With Hawks
- Updated: June 20, 2019
Smith’s expiring contract is quite enticing to a number of teams who want to go under the salary cap and would also like to swap picks with the Cavaliers.
According to a Thursday report, one scenario that has been discussed is a trade with the Atlanta Hawks including veteran Kent Bazemore.
The Hawks seem like they are still in the hunt with the Cavs… heard JR Smith for Kent Bazemore has been discussed. The volume of chatter this year might be unprecedented in terms of teams moving picks https://t.co/qiJ91yx5yy
— Steve Kyler (@stevekylerNBA) June 20, 2019
The Hawks could waive Smith for a cap-friendly $3.8 million before the month ends or they could stretch it across three years.
Bazemore also has an expiring contract like Smith’s, but he could become a part of the Cavs rotation next season.
If this trade happens, expect the two teams to swap draft picks as well, with the Cavs receiving the Hawks’ No. 8 and No. 10 overall picks, and Cleveland’s No. 5 pick in the first round going to Atlanta.