- Report: LaMelo Ball has no plans to meet with Cavs ahead of 2020 NBA Draft
- J.R. Smith annihilates Olivia Harlan Dekker, insinuates husband uses N-bombs
- Sam Dekker’s wife agrees that J.R. Smith amongst ‘dumbest people on planet’
- Sam Dekker issues strong response to J.R. Smith’s accusation that he supports Donald Trump
- Report: Cavs to hold pre-draft workouts for Obi Toppin, other top prospects this week
- J.R. Smith says former Cavs swingman was only teammate he couldn’t ‘stand’ in entire NBA career
- Report: J.B. Bickerstaff reveals ‘positive’ conversations with Andre Drummond about future with Cavs
- Skip Bayless makes strong argument why he would take 2016 Cavs over 2020 Lakers
- LeBron James gets ‘chills’ rewatching Cavs’ historic NBA Finals win over Warriors
- Andre Drummond hints at working towards major evolution in his game
Report: Cavs Have Discussed Trading J.R. Smith for Kent Bazemore With Hawks
- Updated: June 20, 2019
Smith’s expiring contract is quite enticing to a number of teams who want to go under the salary cap and would also like to swap picks with the Cavaliers.
According to a Thursday report, one scenario that has been discussed is a trade with the Atlanta Hawks including veteran Kent Bazemore.
The Hawks seem like they are still in the hunt with the Cavs… heard JR Smith for Kent Bazemore has been discussed. The volume of chatter this year might be unprecedented in terms of teams moving picks https://t.co/qiJ91yx5yy
— Steve Kyler (@stevekylerNBA) June 20, 2019
The Hawks could waive Smith for a cap-friendly $3.8 million before the month ends or they could stretch it across three years.
Bazemore also has an expiring contract like Smith’s, but he could become a part of the Cavs rotation next season.
If this trade happens, expect the two teams to swap draft picks as well, with the Cavs receiving the Hawks’ No. 8 and No. 10 overall picks, and Cleveland’s No. 5 pick in the first round going to Atlanta.