- Report: Cavs Would ‘Gladly’ Trade for Gordon Hayward This Offseason
- Report: Kyrie Irving Was ‘Strange’ and ‘Angry’ After Winning 2016 NBA Championship
- LeBron James Again Named One of Time’s 100 Most Influential People
- Charles Barkley Roasts Shaquille O’Neal for His Miserable Tenure on Cavs
- Report: Cavs Have Compiled List of Potential Suitors for J.R. Smith
- Report: There Were Weeks Where LeBron’s Agent and David Griffin ‘Drove Each Other Nuts’
- Collin Sexton Sends Special Thanks to Cavs Organization, Teammates and Fans
- LeBron James’ Former Cavs Coach Calls Him a ‘Coach Killer’
- Zion Williamson Officially Declares for 2019 NBA Draft With Epic Video
- Report: Several Executives Couldn’t Believe Cavs Thought They Were Going to Make Playoffs
Isaiah Thomas Says Celtics Would Have Won Title If He Had Never Been Traded to Cavs
- Updated: March 19, 2019
Isaiah Thomas on what might have been if he had never been dealt from Boston:
“Yeah, we would have probably won a championship already.”
— Chris Forsberg (@ChrisForsberg_) March 19, 2019
Thomas, 30, has been very outspoken about the infamous trade that sent the former All-Star from the Boston Celtics to the Cavaliers in 2017. The Cavs shipped disgruntled star Kyrie Irving to the Celtics in exchange for Thomas, Jae Crowder, Ante Zizic and a couple of draft picks. The prized Nets pick turned into Collin Sexton.
Before getting moved, the 5-foot-9 point guard was averaging an amazing 28.9 points and 5.9 assists per game during the 2016-17 NBA season. In fact, the tiny assassin nearly led the Celtics to the NBA Finals in 2017, falling just three games short of advancing.
Unfortunately, Thomas’ career took a downward turn after the guard missed months of playing time with a serious hip injury. The veteran has bounced around the league since the trade, and is currently putting up a career-low 8.6 points in 15.6 minutes per game this season with the Nuggets.
While it’s wishful thinking that Thomas and the Celtics would have won a championship if the two parties remained together, it’s unlikely considering the heaviness of Thomas’ injury.