- Report: Nets in ‘active discussions’ with Cavs for JaVale McGee, also interested in Kevin Love
- Report: Darius Garland was ‘hurt’ when Cavs and Tristan Thompson parted ways
- Report: Nets to make run at acquiring Cavs backup center JaVale McGee
- Report: Cavs had chance to acquire DeAndre Jordan in 2018 with LeBron James on team
- Report: Some Cavs veterans ‘resented’ Collin Sexton in 2018, wanted to trade for one last shot at title
- Video: Jarrett Allen catches a body as he posterizes Nets defender
- Video: James Harden delivers filthy through-the-legs pass to Kyrie Irving
- Kevin Porter Jr. shares emotional post as he bids goodbye to Cleveland Cavaliers
- Report: Darius Garland and Dylan Windler expected to play Friday night vs. Nets
- Report: Cavs saw James Harden potential in Kevin Porter Jr.
Isaiah Thomas Says Celtics Would Have Won Title If He Had Never Been Traded to Cavs
- Updated: March 19, 2019
Isaiah Thomas on what might have been if he had never been dealt from Boston:
“Yeah, we would have probably won a championship already.”
— Chris Forsberg (@ChrisForsberg_) March 19, 2019
Thomas, 30, has been very outspoken about the infamous trade that sent the former All-Star from the Boston Celtics to the Cavaliers in 2017. The Cavs shipped disgruntled star Kyrie Irving to the Celtics in exchange for Thomas, Jae Crowder, Ante Zizic and a couple of draft picks. The prized Nets pick turned into Collin Sexton.
Before getting moved, the 5-foot-9 point guard was averaging an amazing 28.9 points and 5.9 assists per game during the 2016-17 NBA season. In fact, the tiny assassin nearly led the Celtics to the NBA Finals in 2017, falling just three games short of advancing.
Unfortunately, Thomas’ career took a downward turn after the guard missed months of playing time with a serious hip injury. The veteran has bounced around the league since the trade, and is currently putting up a career-low 8.6 points in 15.6 minutes per game this season with the Nuggets.
While it’s wishful thinking that Thomas and the Celtics would have won a championship if the two parties remained together, it’s unlikely considering the heaviness of Thomas’ injury.