- Report: Multiple Celtics Players Don’t Make Trip to Cleveland to Face Cavs
- Brad Stevens Heaps Praise on John Beilein, Says He Will Thrive in Cleveland
- Report: Several Cavs Players Say ‘Toughness’ Was Difference Between Them and Celtics
- Report: Jayson Tatum to Miss Celtics-Cavs Matchup on Tuesday Night
- Kevin Love Discusses What It Was Like to Visit With Cavs Owner Dan Gilbert
- Report: Cavs Have Been Receptive to John Beilein’s Extremely Long Practices
- Video: Austin Carr Accidentally Calls New Cavs Play-by-Play Announcer ‘Fred’
- Report: Cavs Visited Team Owner Dan Gilbert at His Detroit Home on Saturday
- Report: Cavs Willing to Put Darius Garland in Starting Lineup Immediately
- Darius Garland Opens Up on Adjustment to NBA: ‘It’s Been Really Fun’
Isaiah Thomas Says Celtics Would Have Won Title If He Had Never Been Traded to Cavs
- Updated: March 19, 2019
Isaiah Thomas on what might have been if he had never been dealt from Boston:
“Yeah, we would have probably won a championship already.”
— Chris Forsberg (@ChrisForsberg_) March 19, 2019
Thomas, 30, has been very outspoken about the infamous trade that sent the former All-Star from the Boston Celtics to the Cavaliers in 2017. The Cavs shipped disgruntled star Kyrie Irving to the Celtics in exchange for Thomas, Jae Crowder, Ante Zizic and a couple of draft picks. The prized Nets pick turned into Collin Sexton.
Before getting moved, the 5-foot-9 point guard was averaging an amazing 28.9 points and 5.9 assists per game during the 2016-17 NBA season. In fact, the tiny assassin nearly led the Celtics to the NBA Finals in 2017, falling just three games short of advancing.
Unfortunately, Thomas’ career took a downward turn after the guard missed months of playing time with a serious hip injury. The veteran has bounced around the league since the trade, and is currently putting up a career-low 8.6 points in 15.6 minutes per game this season with the Nuggets.
While it’s wishful thinking that Thomas and the Celtics would have won a championship if the two parties remained together, it’s unlikely considering the heaviness of Thomas’ injury.