- Isaiah Thomas Says Celtics Would Have Won Title If He Had Never Been Traded to Cavs
- Collin Sexton Credits Cavs Teammates After Reaching 6th Straight 23-Point Game
- Channing Frye Explains Why Detroit Pistons Are Going to Be Dangerous in Playoffs
- Dan Gilbert, Larry Drew, and Channing Frye Offer Huge Praise for Collin Sexton
- Report: Kevin Love Questionable vs. Detroit Pistons With New Injury
- Cedi Osman Sends Message to Team USA Amid FIBA World Cup Match
- Kyrie Irving Says LeBron James Was ‘Thirsty for Rebounds’ With Cavs
- Collin Sexton Breaks Cavs Rookie Record Set by LeBron James
- J.R. Smith Says He’s Beaten Kyrie Irving, Carmelo Anthony, Other All-Stars 1-on-1
- Kevin Love Speaks Out on Facing Dirk Nowitzki One Last Time
Report: Tyronn Lue Could Replace Luke Walton as Lakers Head Coach
- Updated: March 1, 2019
With the status of Los Angeles Lakers head coach Luke Walton in question, the possibility of a reunion of former Cleveland Cavaliers forward LeBron James and his former coach, Tyronn Lue, is reportedly under consideration.
That decision could come during the offseason, according to Yahoo! Sports’ Chris Haynes.
James left the Cavaliers to sign as a free agent with the Lakers last July, but his new team is currently in 10th place among Western Conference teams with a 30-31 record. That puts Los Angeles three games behind the Los Angeles Clippers for the final playoff berth, with Walton a candidate to be fired if the team fails to reach the postseason.
Even if the team does reach the playoffs, Walton’s time as head coach of the Lakers could come to an end. Given his stature with the team as well as the league, James’ influence in choosing a successor could result in Lue being awarded the job.
Lue originally served as an assistant when James returned to the Cavs in 2014 and was elevated to head coach of the team in January 2016. Five months later, the team completed a stunning comeback in the NBA Finals to win the franchise’s first league title. In each of the following two seasons, the Cavaliers also reached the Finals.
However, the departure of James has resulted in a complete rebuilding effort by the Cavs, who dismissed Lue after the team dropped its first six games. James’ comfort level would undoubtedly increase with Lue at the helm of the Lakers, though it would likely renew complaints of his oversized influence when it comes to personnel choice.