- Report: J.R. Smith Has Emerged as Leading Candidate to Replace Avery Bradley on Lakers Roster
- Report: Andre Drummond to Pick Up $28.7M Player Option to Stay With Cavs Next Season
- Report: Andre Drummond ‘Near Certainty’ to Return to Cavs With Option Date Updated
- Kevin Love Donates $500,000 to UCLA’s Psychology Department for Mental Health Awareness
- Video: Kevin Love Releases Heartfelt Message After Winning Prestigious ESPY Award
- Jordan Clarkson Disses Donald Trump After Latest Coronavirus Comments: ‘This Is the Dumbest S–t I Heard’
- Andre Drummond Hypes Up Darius Garland After He Breaks Ankles in Scrimmage Video
- Why Cavs Have Extensive Knowledge on Deni Avdija Because of J.B. Bickerstaff
- Report: Cavs Continue to Use Damian Lillard, C.J. McCollum as Model for Darius Garland, Collin Sexton
- Tristan Thompson Reminisces on Cavs Championship as ‘Legendary Father’s Day’
Report: Cavs Insider Reveals New Ironic Reason Kyrie Irving Wanted Out of Cleveland
- Updated: February 6, 2019
While there were multiple reasons for Irving’s trade demands, LeBron James’ impending free agency appeared to be chief among them. Joe Vardon of The Athletic detailed the irony of the point guard’s decision to leave Cleveland.
“This next one is less public, but no less ironic,” wrote Vardon. “Sources told The Athletic that among the reasons Irving wanted out of Cleveland with two years left on his contract was that he was sick of the never-ending rumors surrounding James’ upcoming free agency.”
Obviously, this is ironic considering the current state of Irving’s situation with the Boston Celtics. Prior to the season, Irving told Boston fans that he was planning to re-sign. But now he has walked back those comments and opened the door for rumors about his own free agency.
Irving understands the frustration that comes with constantly fielding questions about a teammate’s impending free agency. However, he’s still putting his teammates in that exact situation all the same.
Of course, the media will ask the questions no matter what, but there wouldn’t be the same level of intrigue had Irving avoided making any preseason declarations about his future. He shoulders blame for inviting the media circus that he desperately tried to avoid once upon a time.