- J.R. Smith annihilates Olivia Harlan Dekker, insinuates husband uses N-bombs
- Sam Dekker’s wife agrees that J.R. Smith amongst ‘dumbest people on planet’
- Sam Dekker issues strong response to J.R. Smith’s accusation that he supports Donald Trump
- Report: Cavs to hold pre-draft workouts for Obi Toppin, other top prospects this week
- J.R. Smith says former Cavs swingman was only teammate he couldn’t ‘stand’ in entire NBA career
- Report: J.B. Bickerstaff reveals ‘positive’ conversations with Andre Drummond about future with Cavs
- Skip Bayless makes strong argument why he would take 2016 Cavs over 2020 Lakers
- LeBron James gets ‘chills’ rewatching Cavs’ historic NBA Finals win over Warriors
- Andre Drummond hints at working towards major evolution in his game
- Video: Cavs big man seen getting schooled by WNBA star in 1-on-1 matchup
Report: 2 Cavs Players Ruled Out for Season Opener vs. Raptors
- Updated: October 17, 2018
Smith is dealing with a sore right elbow, while Nance is recovering from a sprained ankle suffered last week in practice.
— Chris Fedor (@ChrisFedor) October 17, 2018
JR Smith (elbow) is also out tonight
— Joe Vardon (@joevardon) October 17, 2018
The status of the 33-year-old Smith, who’s looking to bounce back after two subpar seasons, was uncertain even before his preseason injury woes. There had been talk of his role in Cavs head coach Tyronn Lue‘s rotation being diminished because of his struggles that were the byproduct of both issues on and off the court. For the opener, Rodney Hood will be in his shooting guard spot.
The 25-year-old Nance, who signed a four-year contract extension with the team on Monday, is expected to share starting center duties with Tristan Thompson, depending on the particular matchup. He was acquired at midseason last year from the Los Angeles Lakers and is also expected to see action at the power forward spot. He’s the son of Cavs legend Larry Nance Sr.
Following Wednesday night’s regular season opener at Air Canada Centre in Toronto, the Cavaliers move on for another road matchup on Friday night against the Minnesota Timberwolves. The team’s home opener will be Sunday night at Quicken Loans Arena against the Atlanta Hawks.