- Report: Cavs Would ‘Gladly’ Trade for Gordon Hayward This Offseason
- Report: Kyrie Irving Was ‘Strange’ and ‘Angry’ After Winning 2016 NBA Championship
- LeBron James Again Named One of Time’s 100 Most Influential People
- Charles Barkley Roasts Shaquille O’Neal for His Miserable Tenure on Cavs
- Report: Cavs Have Compiled List of Potential Suitors for J.R. Smith
- Report: There Were Weeks Where LeBron’s Agent and David Griffin ‘Drove Each Other Nuts’
- Collin Sexton Sends Special Thanks to Cavs Organization, Teammates and Fans
- LeBron James’ Former Cavs Coach Calls Him a ‘Coach Killer’
- Zion Williamson Officially Declares for 2019 NBA Draft With Epic Video
- Report: Several Executives Couldn’t Believe Cavs Thought They Were Going to Make Playoffs
Report: 2 Cavs Players Ruled Out for Season Opener vs. Raptors
- Updated: October 17, 2018
Smith is dealing with a sore right elbow, while Nance is recovering from a sprained ankle suffered last week in practice.
— Chris Fedor (@ChrisFedor) October 17, 2018
JR Smith (elbow) is also out tonight
— Joe Vardon (@joevardon) October 17, 2018
The status of the 33-year-old Smith, who’s looking to bounce back after two subpar seasons, was uncertain even before his preseason injury woes. There had been talk of his role in Cavs head coach Tyronn Lue‘s rotation being diminished because of his struggles that were the byproduct of both issues on and off the court. For the opener, Rodney Hood will be in his shooting guard spot.
The 25-year-old Nance, who signed a four-year contract extension with the team on Monday, is expected to share starting center duties with Tristan Thompson, depending on the particular matchup. He was acquired at midseason last year from the Los Angeles Lakers and is also expected to see action at the power forward spot. He’s the son of Cavs legend Larry Nance Sr.
Following Wednesday night’s regular season opener at Air Canada Centre in Toronto, the Cavaliers move on for another road matchup on Friday night against the Minnesota Timberwolves. The team’s home opener will be Sunday night at Quicken Loans Arena against the Atlanta Hawks.