- J.R. Smith says Cavs championship team was ‘grittier,’ ‘nastier,’ and played ‘harder’ than Lakers
- Report: Celtics monitoring ‘uncomfortable’ contract talks between Cavs and Andre Drummond
- Collin Sexton reveals inspiring message Dwyane Wade gave him during jersey swap
- Report: Cavs putting ‘large focus’ on improving defense this offseason
- Former Cavs star reveals sleeper who he thinks is ‘best’ point guard in 2020 draft class
- Report: Cavs and Andre Drummond all of sudden far apart on contract extension
- Iman Shumpert clears up what Kyrie Irving meant after seemingly dissing LeBron James
- Cavs superstar Kevin Love seen working out in New York with renowned trainer
- Kevin Porter Jr. shares scary, suicidal Instagram post as fans beg him to seek help
- Report: Cavs hoping to attend workout of top NBA draft prospect Devin Vassell
Tristan Thompson Explains Why He’s So Excited to Be Paired With Dwyane Wade
- Updated: October 3, 2017
Cleveland Cavaliers head coach Tyronn Lue officially confirmed on Monday night that the team’s starting lineup will see a change as newly acquired forward Jae Crowder will be starting at the 4 and Kevin Love will be at the 5 once the regular season tips off.
As a result, center Tristan Thompson will be relegated to the bench. Thompson has embraced his new role as Lue broke the news to him late last week.
“Tristan has been a big part of what we do. I hated having that conversation, but it was great,” Lue said. “He was phenomenal. That’s what it’s all about. You hate having those conversations, but he was great. He was like, ‘Man, whatever you need me to do, Coach. I’ll just go for Sixth Man of the Year. I understand what’s going on.’ … When you have those talks, usually they don’t go that good. But he was great about it.”
The Cavs are expected to roll out a starting lineup of Derrick Rose, LeBron James, Crowder, and Love, with the shooting guard slot still undecided between J.R. Smith and Dwyane Wade. Nevertheless, Thompson couldn’t contain his excitement when asked about possibly being paired with Wade on the second unit.
Thompson is excited to be paired with D Wade at the point. “I haven’t had a lob since Delly.”
— Scott @ WFNY (@WFNYScott) October 3, 2017
The Cavs tip off their preseason on Wednesday, as they take on the Atlanta Hawks at Quicken Loans Arena.