- Report: Cavs had chance to acquire DeAndre Jordan in 2018 with LeBron James on team
- Report: Some Cavs veterans ‘resented’ Collin Sexton in 2018, wanted to trade for one last shot at title
- Video: Jarrett Allen catches a body as he posterizes Nets defender
- Video: James Harden delivers filthy through-the-legs pass to Kyrie Irving
- Kevin Porter Jr. shares emotional post as he bids goodbye to Cleveland Cavaliers
- Report: Darius Garland and Dylan Windler expected to play Friday night vs. Nets
- Report: Cavs saw James Harden potential in Kevin Porter Jr.
- Report: Nets list Kevin Durant as questionable ahead of Friday’s game vs. Cavs
- Report: Cavs viewed Kevin Porter Jr. as ‘untouchable’ and considered him ‘most talented’ youngster on roster
- Report: Cavs send Kevin Porter Jr. to Rockets for 2nd-round draft pick
Cavs News: Cleveland Cavaliers Trade Chris Andersen to Charlotte Hornets
- Updated: February 13, 2017
The Cleveland Cavaliers opened up another spot on their roster on Monday by trading injured center Chris Andersen and cash considerations to the Charlotte Hornets in exchange for a protected second-round draft pick.
The specific pick appears to be one that the Cavaliers won’t actually end up receiving. However, it does offer them some relief in the area of the luxury tax and frees up the possibility of the team acquiring another player.
Presume the "protected second rounder" is a paper pick the Cavs will never see. This is simply to free roster spot and ease tax burden
— Jason Lloyd (@JasonLloydNBA) February 13, 2017
The pick the Cavs get from Charlotte in the Birdman deal is a 2017 top-55 protected second rounder, league source tells ESPN
— Dave McMenamin (@mcten) February 13, 2017
Andersen, who suffered a season-ending knee injury in December, had seen action in 12 games during his first season with the Cavaliers. He averaged 2.3 points and 2.6 rebounds in those contests.
The Cavaliers will next be in action on Tuesday night, when they travel to face the Minnesota Timberwolves in a game with an 8 p.m. ET tipoff.