- Report: Obi Toppin on Cavs radar with No. 5 pick in 2020 NBA draft
- Kevin Porter Jr. shouts out potential Cavs pick LaMelo Ball after huge announcement
- Iman Shumpert makes adamant pick between 2016 Cavs and 2020 Lakers
- Richard Jefferson takes hilarious shot at Giannis Antetokounmpo while comparing him to LeBron James
- Kevin Love, Tristan Thompson send huge congrats to ‘brother’ LeBron James for winning NBA title
- Andre Drummond campaigns for Cleveland Browns to give him shot at tight end
- Dylan Windler proceeds with huge life decision on Cavs home court
- Tristan Thompson shares threatening text LeBron James sent after Cavs lost Game 4 of 2016 finals
- Mark Cuban shares incredible picture of Delonte West to prove he’s on path to recovery
- Report: Boston Celtics could offer major trade package for ‘obvious target’ Larry Nance Jr.
Cavs News: Cavaliers Cut Four Players, Including Austin Daye and D.J. Stephens
- Updated: October 24, 2015
The Cleveland Cavaliers are one step closer to finalizing their roster for the regular season opener.
On Friday, the Cavaliers announced that they had waived forward Austin Daye, guard/forward D.J. Stephens, guard Dionte Christmas and forward Jack Cooley to trim the roster down to 16 players.
CLE announces it waived Jack Cooley, Austin Daye, Dionte Christmas & DJ Stephens today. Invitees Jared Cunningham and Quinn Cook remain
— Dave McMenamin (@mcten) October 23, 2015
Daye had appeared in the most games during the preseason of the aforementioned waived players, averaging 5.0 points and 3.5 rebounds in 11.9 minutes per game.
Christmas was signed by Cleveland just 13 days prior and appeared in four preseason games, averaging 6.8 points and 2.5 rebounds in 19.9 minutes per game. Because the team was desperate for depth at the guard position, Christmas stood a legit chance of making the opening night roster, but he couldn’t beat out Cook and Cunningham for a spot.
With the Cavaliers due to open the season on Tuesday night versus the Chicago Bulls, their active roster for the regular season needs to be set by October 26th. All NBA teams are allowed to carry a maximum of 15 players on its regular season roster.