- Sam Dekker issues strong response to J.R. Smith’s accusation that he supports Donald Trump
- Report: Cavs to hold pre-draft workouts for Obi Toppin, other top prospects this week
- J.R. Smith says former Cavs swingman was only teammate he couldn’t ‘stand’ in entire NBA career
- Report: J.B. Bickerstaff reveals ‘positive’ conversations with Andre Drummond about future with Cavs
- Skip Bayless makes strong argument why he would take 2016 Cavs over 2020 Lakers
- LeBron James gets ‘chills’ rewatching Cavs’ historic NBA Finals win over Warriors
- Andre Drummond hints at working towards major evolution in his game
- Video: Cavs big man seen getting schooled by WNBA star in 1-on-1 matchup
- J.R. Smith says Cavs championship team was ‘grittier,’ ‘nastier,’ and played ‘harder’ than Lakers
- Report: Celtics monitoring ‘uncomfortable’ contract talks between Cavs and Andre Drummond
Report: Cleveland Cavaliers Have Pulled $80 Million Offer to Tristan Thompson off Table
- Updated: October 16, 2015
The fluid negotiations involving the Cleveland Cavaliers and restricted free agent Tristan Thompson have gotten very contentious over the past few weeks, with one report now saying that once Thompson refused to sign the team’s $6.8 million qualifying offer, the team pulled their five-year, $80 million offer off the table.
During an online question and answer session, Larry Coon of Basketball Insiders indicated that because the Cavs were no longer required to offer the $80 million deal, they removed it from consideration once the October 1 deadline for Thompson to sign the qualifying offer had passed.
Coon also stated that other information he had obtained noted that the actual person doing the negotiating on behalf of Thompson was Mark Termini, not Rich Paul as previously believed. It was Paul who mentioned in August that if Thompson ended up taking the qualifying offer, he would not sign with Cleveland once he became a free agent next July.
The fact that Termini is known for playing hardball with teams during negotiating sessions, coupled with the fact that Thompson didn’t end up accepting the qualifying offer seems to lend some credence to that theory.
No public comments have come from either side of the negotiating table, but ESPN’s Brian Windhorst indicated last week that the conflict could extend well into the regular season.