- 4 Players Cavs Should Look at With No. 5 Pick in 2019 NBA Draft
- Magic Johnson Says Los Angeles Lakers Should Pursue Kyrie Irving in Free Agency
- Report: Cavs Hire J.B. Bickerstaff as Associate Head Coach
- Report: Cavs ‘Really Want’ R.J. Barrett, Will Try to Maneuver to Make It Happen
- Report: Cavs Will ‘Undoubtedly’ Try to Get Another 1st-Round Pick for 2019 NBA Draft
- Report: Teams ‘More Wary’ of Pursuing Kyrie Irving This Offseason
- Giannis Antetokounmpo Admits Eastern Conference Easier Now That LeBron James Is Gone
- Video: Collin Sexton Seen Coaching and Guiding Youngsters in Philippines
- Here’s Why the Cavs Might Still End Up With R.J. Barrett on Draft Night
- Report: Cavs to Meet With Duke University’s Cam Reddish
Cavs News: Cavaliers Pick Up Team Option on Timofey Mozgov
- Updated: June 23, 2015
The move, reported by the Cleveland Plain Dealer, was fully expected due to seven-foot Russian’s play after joining the team in a January 7 trade with the Denver Nuggets. In addition, the club-friendly salary that Mozgov will make next year, $4.95 million, will be one of the lower amounts the team deals with during the busy free agency period that could see the Cavaliers have as many as 10 free agents.
However, next year, Mozgov will be an unrestricted free agent and could potentially make as much as $15 million per year. That likelihood is related to the scarcity of quality centers, though the Cavs will have something of a cushion next year in that area. That’s because the salary cap is expected to jump to around $90 million, as opposed to the $67 million for the upcoming year.
In his 46 regular season games with Cleveland, Mozgov averaged 10.6 points and 6.9 rebounds, and virtually matched those numbers in 20 playoff games. During the NBA Finals, he scored 28 points, marking a career-high in that category. Along the way, he became an important part of the team’s success by providing a strong presence in the paint.