- Report: Cavs received calls for Andre Drummond and JaVale McGee in aftermath of Jarrett Allen trade
- Report: Eastern conference executive says Andre Drummond ‘definitely out of Cleveland’
- Former NBA executive discloses how much Cavs would likely pay Jarrett Allen in long-term deal
- Andre Drummond has hilarious reaction to finding out Cavs traded for another center in Jarrett Allen
- Report: Cavs waive 2 players in aftermath of blockbuster James Harden trade
- Report: Cavs acquire Jarrett Allen and Taurean Prince in blockbuster James Harden deal
- Report: Cavs helping Kevin Porter Jr. ‘get his life together before putting him on the court’
- Report: Cavs reveal MRI results of Collin Sexton’s latest injury
- Report: Cavs considered adding Jeremy Lin before signing Yogi Ferrell
- Kevin Porter Jr. highlights relationship with Carmelo Anthony as he remains away from Cavs
Cavs News: Cavaliers Pick Up Team Option on Timofey Mozgov
- Updated: June 23, 2015
The move, reported by the Cleveland Plain Dealer, was fully expected due to seven-foot Russian’s play after joining the team in a January 7 trade with the Denver Nuggets. In addition, the club-friendly salary that Mozgov will make next year, $4.95 million, will be one of the lower amounts the team deals with during the busy free agency period that could see the Cavaliers have as many as 10 free agents.
However, next year, Mozgov will be an unrestricted free agent and could potentially make as much as $15 million per year. That likelihood is related to the scarcity of quality centers, though the Cavs will have something of a cushion next year in that area. That’s because the salary cap is expected to jump to around $90 million, as opposed to the $67 million for the upcoming year.
In his 46 regular season games with Cleveland, Mozgov averaged 10.6 points and 6.9 rebounds, and virtually matched those numbers in 20 playoff games. During the NBA Finals, he scored 28 points, marking a career-high in that category. Along the way, he became an important part of the team’s success by providing a strong presence in the paint.