- Report: Delonte West checks into rehab facility after photo of him begging on street goes viral
- Cavs News: Kevin Love leaves team’s Cleveland bubble
- Report: Significant concerns emerging about Anthony Edwards as he gets compared to Dion Waiters
- Richard Jefferson throws shade at Los Angeles Clippers while praising Miami Heat
- Kevin Love acknowledges that he was big part in helping LeBron James win titles
- Kevin Love explains how important playing in front of crowds is to LeBron James
- Larry Nance Jr. responds with jubilation that Cavs and Tristan Thompson have ‘mutual interest’
- Koby Altman opens up on what Cavs plan to do with No. 5 overall pick
- Ja Morant insinuates missed dunk over Kevin Love would have been best of all time
- Disturbing photos emerge of Delonte West begging for money in Dallas
Cavs News: Cavaliers Pick Up Team Option on Timofey Mozgov
- Updated: June 23, 2015
The move, reported by the Cleveland Plain Dealer, was fully expected due to seven-foot Russian’s play after joining the team in a January 7 trade with the Denver Nuggets. In addition, the club-friendly salary that Mozgov will make next year, $4.95 million, will be one of the lower amounts the team deals with during the busy free agency period that could see the Cavaliers have as many as 10 free agents.
However, next year, Mozgov will be an unrestricted free agent and could potentially make as much as $15 million per year. That likelihood is related to the scarcity of quality centers, though the Cavs will have something of a cushion next year in that area. That’s because the salary cap is expected to jump to around $90 million, as opposed to the $67 million for the upcoming year.
In his 46 regular season games with Cleveland, Mozgov averaged 10.6 points and 6.9 rebounds, and virtually matched those numbers in 20 playoff games. During the NBA Finals, he scored 28 points, marking a career-high in that category. Along the way, he became an important part of the team’s success by providing a strong presence in the paint.