- Cavs Rumors: DeAndre Liggins Likely to Win Final Roster Spot on Cavaliers
- Video: LeBron James and Teammates Erupt as Cleveland Indians Advance to World Series
- J.R. Smith Responds to Alleged Racism Towards Jeremy Lin and Asian-Americans
- Cleveland Cavaliers vs. Washington Wizards Preseason Game Recap: Late Comeback Falls Short
- Video: LeBron James Drives the Lane and Throws Down Two-Handed Hammer
- Kyle Lowry Says He Knows How Raptors Can Beat Cavs in Playoffs
- Tyronn Lue Compares LeBron James and Kyrie Irving to Shaquille O’Neal and Kobe Bryant
- NBA General Managers Predict Who Will Win Fifth MVP Award in 2016-17
- Four Reasons the Cleveland Cavaliers Should Pursue Chris Bosh in 2017
- Iconic LeBron James Banner to Be Replaced in Downtown Cleveland
Cavs News: Cavaliers Cut Four Players, Including Austin Daye and D.J. Stephens
- Updated: October 24, 2015
The Cleveland Cavaliers are one step closer to finalizing their roster for the regular season opener.
On Friday, the Cavaliers announced that they had waived forward Austin Daye, guard/forward D.J. Stephens, guard Dionte Christmas and forward Jack Cooley to trim the roster down to 16 players.
CLE announces it waived Jack Cooley, Austin Daye, Dionte Christmas & DJ Stephens today. Invitees Jared Cunningham and Quinn Cook remain
— Dave McMenamin (@mcten) October 23, 2015
Daye had appeared in the most games during the preseason of the aforementioned waived players, averaging 5.0 points and 3.5 rebounds in 11.9 minutes per game.
Christmas was signed by Cleveland just 13 days prior and appeared in four preseason games, averaging 6.8 points and 2.5 rebounds in 19.9 minutes per game. Because the team was desperate for depth at the guard position, Christmas stood a legit chance of making the opening night roster, but he couldn’t beat out Cook and Cunningham for a spot.
With the Cavaliers due to open the season on Tuesday night versus the Chicago Bulls, their active roster for the regular season needs to be set by October 26th. All NBA teams are allowed to carry a maximum of 15 players on its regular season roster.