Cavs News

Cavs rookie Emoni Bates gets into back-and-forth with fan after publicly showing support for Miles Bridges

Published by
Mike Battaglino

Cleveland Cavaliers forward Emoni Bates used social media to voice his support for Miles Bridges despite domestic violence charges that caused the Charlotte Hornets player to serve a 30-game suspension that recently ended.

“Lol bro gtfo thts my big brother !not hearing 💩 y’all taking about 💯,” wrote Bates in a now-deleted tweet.

Bates was reacting to a video of Bridges making a 3-pointer in overtime against the Boston Celtics on Monday. It helped the Hornets record a 121-118 victory.

It was the third NBA game for the 25-year-old since his suspension ended. The punishment was levied by the league in April of 2023 after he was charged in July of 2022. He pleaded no contest to a felony charge in November of 2022, with two other felony charges being dropped.

Bridges did not play in the league during the 2022-23 season, and the NBA counted 20 games of the 30-game suspension as served before this season began. Last month, he faced an arrest warrant related to an alleged protection order violation connected to the case.

The Michigan State University product played his first four NBA seasons for Charlotte and signed a qualifying offer with the team this past offseason. It is believed that the criminal charges may have cost him a lucrative contract in free agency in 2022.

He made his NBA return on Nov. 17 and is averaging 16.7 points per contest in his three games played this season.

A fellow Michigan native, Bates himself is no stranger to off-the-court controversy. Prior to playing for Eastern Michigan University, he served a suspension for felony gun charges that were later dropped thanks to a plea deal. It was part of a rocky collegiate career that likely lowered his stock entering the 2023 NBA Draft.

The Cavaliers selected him in the second round (No. 49 overall), and following the draft, he mentioned Bridges as one veteran taking him under his wing. Bates also mentioned Memphis Grizzlies guard Ja Morant, who is currently serving a 25-game suspension after showing a firearm on social media.

Despite those connections, Bates is in good standing with the Cavs so far. The 19-year-old played well during Summer League action and has received praise from star teammate Donovan Mitchell.

Bates is back in the NBA after a brief stint in the G League but has been used sparingly off the bench by the Cavs since his return. It is uncertain what his role for the rest of the season may be, but he does seem to have a promising future.

Mike Battaglino

Mike is a veteran journalist who has covered the NBA for almost three decades. One of his favorite sports memories is the Cavaliers-Nets playoff series from 1993.

Published by
Mike Battaglino

Recent Posts

2016 champ says Cavs ‘found something’ amid series comeback vs. Pistons

The Cleveland Cavaliers have successfully climbed out of an 0-2 hole against the Detroit Pistons…

2 days ago

Jeff Teague says Cavs failed to make deal that would’ve sent them to NBA Finals

The Cleveland Cavaliers still have a legitimate chance to make the 2026 NBA Finals, but…

2 days ago

Kendrick Perkins rips Evan Mobley for impact vs. Pistons: ‘You finish the game with one rebound?’

The Cleveland Cavaliers failed to steal a game from the Detroit Pistons on the road…

6 days ago

Former Cavs player says James Harden needs to come off the bench in limited minutes

The Cleveland Cavaliers are in an 0-2 hole in their second-round series against the Detroit…

6 days ago

Donovan Mitchell suggests that he needs to flop to get calls after free-throw disparity in Game 1

Cleveland Cavaliers star Donovan Mitchell wasn’t happy with the lack of foul calls that he…

1 week ago

Skip Bayless implies James Harden was carried in Game 7 vs. Raptors

The Cleveland Cavaliers got the job done in Game 7 against the Toronto Raptors on…

1 week ago