- Report: Kevin Porter Jr. accused of punching a woman in the face in downtown Cleveland
- Channing Frye rips Milwaukee Bucks and Giannis Antetokounmpo after Jrue Holiday trade
- Report: Cavs playing crucial role in helping Bucks complete Jrue Holiday trade
- Report: Andre Drummond makes final decision regarding player option with Cavs
- Report: ‘90 percent’ chance Andre Drummond opts into player option with Cavs
- Scary details of Kevin Porter Jr.’s arrest reveal loaded handgun, marijuana and overturned vehicle
- Report: Cavs expected to draft Obi Toppin at No. 5 pick if Deni Avdija is ‘off the board’
- Report: Andre Drummond expected to pick up option in order to facilitate trade
- Cavs break silence regarding Kevin Porter Jr.’s troubling arrest
- Report: Celtics offered multiple 1st-round picks for Cavs’ No. 5 overall pick
Report: Obi Toppin on Cavs radar with No. 5 pick in 2020 NBA draft
- Updated: October 14, 2020
The Cleveland Cavaliers have the No. 5 pick in the upcoming 2020 NBA Draft.
The team has not announced that it has plans to take a certain prospect, but it is rumored that University of Dayton standout Obi Toppin is “in the mix” at No. 5.
“League sources have placed Toppin in the mix for the Cavs at No. 5—he can contribute immediately and supply energy to a locker room searching for a collective identity,” Sports Illustrated’s Jeremy Woo wrote. “While there are legitimate concerns about him on defense, teams appear willing to take the production and work around it. This is a critical season for Cleveland, and tangible progress from their young talent might be the only thing that can take pressure off the front office.”
Toppin is coming off a fantastic campaign at Dayton during the 2019-20 season.
The forward averaged 20.0 points, 7.5 rebounds and 2.2 assists per game. He also shot a blistering 63.3 percent from the field and 39.0 percent from 3-point range.
While Toppin is 22 years old, he would not be as much of a project as many other players in the draft.
The NBA draft is scheduled for Nov. 18 of this year.