- Report: Darius Garland was ‘hurt’ when Cavs and Tristan Thompson parted ways
- Report: Nets to make run at acquiring Cavs backup center JaVale McGee
- Report: Cavs had chance to acquire DeAndre Jordan in 2018 with LeBron James on team
- Video: Jarrett Allen catches a body as he posterizes Nets defender
- Video: James Harden delivers filthy through-the-legs pass to Kyrie Irving
- Kevin Porter Jr. shares emotional post as he bids goodbye to Cleveland Cavaliers
- Report: Darius Garland and Dylan Windler expected to play Friday night vs. Nets
- Report: Cavs saw James Harden potential in Kevin Porter Jr.
- Report: Nets list Kevin Durant as questionable ahead of Friday’s game vs. Cavs
Report: Cavs will look for ‘defensive-minded players’ in NBA free agency
- Updated: September 22, 2020
“Since they’re no longer a luxury tax-payer, the Cavaliers will have the $9,258,000 mid-level exception on their hands; this can be used entirely on one free agent or split between multiple players,” Davies wrote. “The Cavs source said that the team will be looking for ‘defensive-minded players’ while also looking to add ‘length and athleticism.’”
The Cavs are coming off a terrible season in which they finished last in the Eastern Conference.
The team will have center Andre Drummond in the middle to anchor its defense next season, and Cleveland can add to its talented young core with the No. 5 pick in the 2020 NBA Draft.
Since both are undersized at the 2-guard position, bringing in a wing defender would help the Cavs guard top notch scorers in the NBA.
Regardless, the Cavs will likely fill out their roster with guys who fit well with Garland’s, Sexton’s and Kevin Porter Jr.’s skill sets as they look toward the future of their rebuild.