- J.R. Smith annihilates Olivia Harlan Dekker, insinuates husband uses N-bombs
- Sam Dekker’s wife agrees that J.R. Smith amongst ‘dumbest people on planet’
- Sam Dekker issues strong response to J.R. Smith’s accusation that he supports Donald Trump
- Report: Cavs to hold pre-draft workouts for Obi Toppin, other top prospects this week
- J.R. Smith says former Cavs swingman was only teammate he couldn’t ‘stand’ in entire NBA career
- Report: J.B. Bickerstaff reveals ‘positive’ conversations with Andre Drummond about future with Cavs
- Skip Bayless makes strong argument why he would take 2016 Cavs over 2020 Lakers
- LeBron James gets ‘chills’ rewatching Cavs’ historic NBA Finals win over Warriors
- Andre Drummond hints at working towards major evolution in his game
- Video: Cavs big man seen getting schooled by WNBA star in 1-on-1 matchup
Report: Some Cavs Believe Kevin Porter Jr. Can Become Team’s Best Player
- Updated: February 25, 2020
According to a recent report, some of his teammates believe that Monday night’s performance was just a glimpse into Porter Jr.’s potential.
In fact, some members of the team believe Porter Jr. can one day become the Cavs’ best player.
“The Cavs did just that. Porter bounced back emphatically, delivering the kind of performance that has some within the team believing that he might be the one,” Chris Fedor of Cleveland.com wrote. “The one to become the team’s best player at some point. The one to alter the franchise’s trajectory.”
Already in his young NBA career, Porter Jr. has shown the ability to score at will when given the opportunity to do so. Still, he is averaging just 9.9 points, 3.2 rebounds and 2.0 assists per game this season.
That being said, his performance on Monday night may have signaled a major turning point. In the overtime win, Porter Jr. recorded 30 points, eight rebounds and three assists.
So far this month, the No. 30 overall pick of the 2019 NBA Draft has averaged 14.3 points, 3.3 rebounds and 2.5 assists per game.
With just under two months left before his rookie season comes to an end, Porter Jr. will get ample opportunities to show what his potential can be.
If the Cavs can enter the offseason with the belief that they have a bonafide future star, they will likely feel much more confident about how to continue their rebuild going forward.