- J.R. Smith annihilates Olivia Harlan Dekker, insinuates husband uses N-bombs
- Sam Dekker’s wife agrees that J.R. Smith amongst ‘dumbest people on planet’
- Sam Dekker issues strong response to J.R. Smith’s accusation that he supports Donald Trump
- Report: Cavs to hold pre-draft workouts for Obi Toppin, other top prospects this week
- J.R. Smith says former Cavs swingman was only teammate he couldn’t ‘stand’ in entire NBA career
- Report: J.B. Bickerstaff reveals ‘positive’ conversations with Andre Drummond about future with Cavs
- Skip Bayless makes strong argument why he would take 2016 Cavs over 2020 Lakers
- LeBron James gets ‘chills’ rewatching Cavs’ historic NBA Finals win over Warriors
- Andre Drummond hints at working towards major evolution in his game
- Video: Cavs big man seen getting schooled by WNBA star in 1-on-1 matchup
J.R. Smith Issues Veiled Plea for NBA Team to Sign Him
- Updated: December 25, 2019
He hasn’t suited up for an NBA game since Nov. 19, 2018, and while it was once believed that he would sign with a contender looking for perimeter shooting, that opportunity never came to pass.
Now, with the clock very much ticking on his relevancy in the NBA, Smith has taken to Twitter to issue what appears to be a plea for any team in the NBA to give him a chance.
How many teams lack shooting an perimeter defense??
— JR Smith (@TheRealJRSmith) December 24, 2019
It’s a legitimate question for Smith to ask, and the answer surely is quite a few. Still, it has become quite clear that teams around the NBA simply do not think the 34-year-old veteran is worth signing.
Surely, it is possible that injuries do lead to a spot opening up for a team in the NBA, but that is in no way guaranteed.
Until then, Smith will have to continue working on his game and waiting for the phone to ring.
Given what has taken place since he parted ways with Cavs last season, however, it seems quite likely that that phone call will never come.