- Cavs Member Says Current Locker Room ‘Better’ Than That of 2016 Championship Squad
- Kevin Love Says Cavs Feeling ‘Pretty Damn Good’ Despite Loss to 76ers
- Tristan Thompson Talks Trash to 76ers Bench After Hitting 3-Pointer
- Report: 76ers Could Be Without Multiple All-Stars for Tuesday’s Game vs. Cavs
- Report: Knicks Owner James Dolan ‘Ordered’ Front Office to Address Media After Blowout Loss to Cavs
- John Beilein and Kevin Love Applaud Tristan Thompson for Taking on Leadership Role This Season
- Report: New York Knicks in Misery After Blowout Loss to Cleveland Cavaliers
- Tristan Thompson Says Cavs Are Seeking to Make Playoffs This Season
- Report: Michael Jordan Once Destroyed Cavs After Drinking 10 Bud Lights
- Kevin Love Sends Message to Gordon Hayward After His Devastating Injury News
Report: Cavs Mourn Passing of Play-By-Play Announcer Fred McLeod
- Updated: September 10, 2019
The team issued a heartfelt statement on its official team website, expressing true sadness over the shocking tragedy.
“It is with the most extreme sadness that the Cleveland Cavaliers share that Cavs and Fox Sports Ohio play-by-play announcer Fred McLeod died suddenly Monday evening,” the statement read. “The entire Cavaliers organization mourns the loss of their great friend and teammate. Fred’s deep love for Cleveland and the Cavaliers was clearly evident in everything he did in and around the community and on-air during his more than 1,000 Cavalier game broadcasts. He was a true, heart-felt ambassador for the team, fans and entire greater Cleveland community.
“The Cavaliers extend our deepest condolences to Fred’s entire family, including his wife Beth, mother Marilyn, sister Lynn, and his three children, Sean, Jenna, Molly and each of their families.”
McLeod recently celebrated the 36th anniversary of his career broadcasting games, with much of that time being spent in Detroit covering the Pistons. Despite that, he was an Ohio boy through and through.
“Fred was born and grew up in nearby Strongsville, Ohio,” the statement read. “He was the Cavaliers television play-by-play announcer on FOX Sports Ohio since the 2006 season. He was about to embark on his 14th consecutive season, and 15th overall, as he served in the same capacity with the Cavs during the 1979-80 season.
“In addition to his play-by-play duties, Fred also served as the Cavaliers’ Executive Producer for Multimedia, providing fans behind-the-scenes access on Cavs.com, Cavs HQ, Twitter and Facebook with daily updates and interviews during the season.”
McLeod was a multiple regional Emmy Award winner and was a recipient of the National Academy of Arts and Sciences’ Silver Circle Award in recognition of his lifetime achievements in television.
His spirit, love for the game, and his golden voice will be forever missed.
We at Cavaliers Nation offer our sincere condolences to the McLeod family during this difficult time.