- Report: Eastern conference executive says Andre Drummond ‘definitely out of Cleveland’
- Former NBA executive discloses how much Cavs would likely pay Jarrett Allen in long-term deal
- Andre Drummond has hilarious reaction to finding out Cavs traded for another center in Jarrett Allen
- Report: Cavs waive 2 players in aftermath of blockbuster James Harden trade
- Report: Cavs acquire Jarrett Allen and Taurean Prince in blockbuster James Harden deal
- Report: Cavs helping Kevin Porter Jr. ‘get his life together before putting him on the court’
- Report: Cavs reveal MRI results of Collin Sexton’s latest injury
- Report: Cavs considered adding Jeremy Lin before signing Yogi Ferrell
- Kevin Porter Jr. highlights relationship with Carmelo Anthony as he remains away from Cavs
- Report: Steve Nash continues to have no update on Kyrie Irving’s mysterious absence from Nets
J.R. Smith Says He’s Only Had 3 Glasses of Hennessy in His Life
- Updated: March 11, 2019
J.R. Smith’s off-court persona is legendary in the NBA.
Smith was given the nickname “Henny God” even though he doesn’t really drink Hennessy. On “Knuckleheads” with Quentin Richardson and Darius Miles, Smith confessed that he hasn’t earned the nickname.
Smith doesn’t mind the nickname, but he wasn’t quite sure how he got it.
“For me, it happened within a year,” Smith said. “I went from Sixth Man of the Year to Henny God of the Year in a year. Not even. In a couple months.”
People forget that Smith has had some incredible moments on the court. His Sixth Man of the Year campaign with the New York Knicks captivated the city.
But for most NBA fans, they don’t think about Smith’s accolades or his NBA championship with the Cleveland Cavaliers in 2016. Instead, they think about the “Henny God.”
“Bro, no lie, this is the third glass of Henny I’ve ever had,” Smith admitted. “Word, shoutout to Hennessy. I’ll take the name. I appreciate it. … I’m the ‘Henny God’ and this is like my third glass.”
This should come as a surprise to many fans, but it shows how Smith’s larger-than-life reputation may not be quite what it seems.