- J.R. Smith annihilates Olivia Harlan Dekker, insinuates husband uses N-bombs
- Sam Dekker’s wife agrees that J.R. Smith amongst ‘dumbest people on planet’
- Sam Dekker issues strong response to J.R. Smith’s accusation that he supports Donald Trump
- Report: Cavs to hold pre-draft workouts for Obi Toppin, other top prospects this week
- J.R. Smith says former Cavs swingman was only teammate he couldn’t ‘stand’ in entire NBA career
- Report: J.B. Bickerstaff reveals ‘positive’ conversations with Andre Drummond about future with Cavs
- Skip Bayless makes strong argument why he would take 2016 Cavs over 2020 Lakers
- LeBron James gets ‘chills’ rewatching Cavs’ historic NBA Finals win over Warriors
- Andre Drummond hints at working towards major evolution in his game
- Video: Cavs big man seen getting schooled by WNBA star in 1-on-1 matchup
J.R. Smith Says He’s Only Had 3 Glasses of Hennessy in His Life
- Updated: March 11, 2019
J.R. Smith’s off-court persona is legendary in the NBA.
Smith was given the nickname “Henny God” even though he doesn’t really drink Hennessy. On “Knuckleheads” with Quentin Richardson and Darius Miles, Smith confessed that he hasn’t earned the nickname.
Smith doesn’t mind the nickname, but he wasn’t quite sure how he got it.
“For me, it happened within a year,” Smith said. “I went from Sixth Man of the Year to Henny God of the Year in a year. Not even. In a couple months.”
People forget that Smith has had some incredible moments on the court. His Sixth Man of the Year campaign with the New York Knicks captivated the city.
But for most NBA fans, they don’t think about Smith’s accolades or his NBA championship with the Cleveland Cavaliers in 2016. Instead, they think about the “Henny God.”
“Bro, no lie, this is the third glass of Henny I’ve ever had,” Smith admitted. “Word, shoutout to Hennessy. I’ll take the name. I appreciate it. … I’m the ‘Henny God’ and this is like my third glass.”
This should come as a surprise to many fans, but it shows how Smith’s larger-than-life reputation may not be quite what it seems.