- J.R. Smith annihilates Olivia Harlan Dekker, insinuates husband uses N-bombs
- Sam Dekker’s wife agrees that J.R. Smith amongst ‘dumbest people on planet’
- Sam Dekker issues strong response to J.R. Smith’s accusation that he supports Donald Trump
- Report: Cavs to hold pre-draft workouts for Obi Toppin, other top prospects this week
- J.R. Smith says former Cavs swingman was only teammate he couldn’t ‘stand’ in entire NBA career
- Report: J.B. Bickerstaff reveals ‘positive’ conversations with Andre Drummond about future with Cavs
- Skip Bayless makes strong argument why he would take 2016 Cavs over 2020 Lakers
- LeBron James gets ‘chills’ rewatching Cavs’ historic NBA Finals win over Warriors
- Andre Drummond hints at working towards major evolution in his game
- Video: Cavs big man seen getting schooled by WNBA star in 1-on-1 matchup
Damian Lillard Fires Shot at NBA, Comes to J.R. Smith’s Defense
- Updated: October 3, 2018
Damian Lillard has J.R. Smith‘s back.
So it seems, at least.
After the NBA told Smith to cover up his “Supreme” tattoo last week, Smith angrily responded with a passionate rebuttal on social media. This quickly caught steam around the league, with Lillard being one of the more noteworthy stars to question the league’s statement.
Jr Smith really gone get fined for showing his tat? They own his body ?
— Damian Lillard (@Dame_Lillard) October 3, 2018
The reason behind the league’s proclamation is purely financial; the NBA has an apparel contract with Nike, and Supreme is one of Nike’s largest competitors. Still, it is quite perplexing as to why such a statement would be issued when many players have their own shoe lines with other Nike competitors such as Adidas and Under Armour.
Smith did cover up the tattoo in the Cleveland Cavaliers‘ first preseason game against the Boston Celtics Tuesday night. Whether the league will take back its statement should more NBA stars speak out is yet to be seen, but the proclamation itself has surely puzzled many.