- Here Are Landing Spots for Kevin Love in Potential Deals That ‘Make Sense’
- Beth McLeod’s Emotional Reaction to Major Honor From Cavs Organization
- Cavs News: LeBron James, Kyrie Irving and Kevin Love Voted Best Cavaliers Ever
- Kevin Love Gives Props to LeBron James Paying Tribute to Nipsey Hussle
- Tristan Thompson Says City of Cleveland Has Best Sports Fans
- Report: Kevin Love and Charlamagne tha God to Collaborate on Mental Health Talk
- Report: Cavs From 2016 Championship Team Wore Rings for Fred McLeod’s Funeral
- Cleveland Indians Honor Fred McLeod With Moment of Silence Before Game
- J.R. Smith Pays Respect to Shaun Livingston After He Announces Retirement
- Report: Cavs Insider Ranks Team’s 5 Most Valuable Trade Pieces
Damian Lillard Fires Shot at NBA, Comes to J.R. Smith’s Defense
- Updated: October 3, 2018
Damian Lillard has J.R. Smith‘s back.
So it seems, at least.
After the NBA told Smith to cover up his “Supreme” tattoo last week, Smith angrily responded with a passionate rebuttal on social media. This quickly caught steam around the league, with Lillard being one of the more noteworthy stars to question the league’s statement.
Jr Smith really gone get fined for showing his tat? They own his body ?
— Damian Lillard (@Dame_Lillard) October 3, 2018
The reason behind the league’s proclamation is purely financial; the NBA has an apparel contract with Nike, and Supreme is one of Nike’s largest competitors. Still, it is quite perplexing as to why such a statement would be issued when many players have their own shoe lines with other Nike competitors such as Adidas and Under Armour.
Smith did cover up the tattoo in the Cleveland Cavaliers‘ first preseason game against the Boston Celtics Tuesday night. Whether the league will take back its statement should more NBA stars speak out is yet to be seen, but the proclamation itself has surely puzzled many.