- Jordan Clarkson Sings Praises for NBA in Reaction to Russell Westbrook Trade
- Cavs Head Coach John Beilein Reveals Why Dylan Windler Will Succeed in NBA
- Former Cavs Teammate Discusses Kyrie Irving’s Personality: He’s ‘Misunderstood’
- Report: Cleveland Cavaliers Could Be Involved in Russell Westbrook Trade With Miami Heat
- Report: Kevin Porter Jr. to Give Cavs ‘Rare’ Discount on Rookie Contract
- Richard Jefferson Asks Kevin Love for Pictures of His Girlfriend Kate Bock
- Larry Nance Jr. ‘Happy as Hell’ With Cavs’ Offseason, Expects to Be ‘Problem’ for Opponents
- Former Cavs Player Outraged After ESPN Analysts Count Out LeBron James and Lakers
- Here’s What the Portland Trail Blazers Could Offer in a Trade for Kevin Love
- Darius Garland Details How ‘Camaraderie Is Building Already’ Between Him and Collin Sexton
Damian Lillard Fires Shot at NBA, Comes to J.R. Smith’s Defense
- Updated: October 3, 2018
Damian Lillard has J.R. Smith‘s back.
So it seems, at least.
After the NBA told Smith to cover up his “Supreme” tattoo last week, Smith angrily responded with a passionate rebuttal on social media. This quickly caught steam around the league, with Lillard being one of the more noteworthy stars to question the league’s statement.
Jr Smith really gone get fined for showing his tat? They own his body ?
— Damian Lillard (@Dame_Lillard) October 3, 2018
The reason behind the league’s proclamation is purely financial; the NBA has an apparel contract with Nike, and Supreme is one of Nike’s largest competitors. Still, it is quite perplexing as to why such a statement would be issued when many players have their own shoe lines with other Nike competitors such as Adidas and Under Armour.
Smith did cover up the tattoo in the Cleveland Cavaliers‘ first preseason game against the Boston Celtics Tuesday night. Whether the league will take back its statement should more NBA stars speak out is yet to be seen, but the proclamation itself has surely puzzled many.