- Report: Cavs Owner Dan Gilbert Returns Home 8 Weeks After Stroke
- Former Cavs Players Get Into Twitter War With Royce White After He Calls Out LeBron James
- Cavs News: Darius Garland Named 2nd Best Playmaker in 2019 NBA Draft
- Mario Hezonja Not Impressed With Kevin Love’s Strength, Challenges Him for More
- Khris Middleton Looking Forward to Battling Matthew Dellavedova During USA-Australia Match
- Kevin Porter Jr. and Bol Bol Voted as Biggest Steals in 2019 NBA Draft
- Video: Cavs Rookie Kevin Porter Jr. Drops 40-Point Triple-Double in Crawsover Pro-Am League Game
- Former Cavs Head Coach Announces He Suffers From Multiple Sclerosis
- Report: Cavs’ ‘Deep-Thinkers’ Worried About Defensive Limitations Around Sexton-Garland Backcourt
- Cavs Insider Says Team Getting More Than 25 Wins This Season Would Be ‘Pleasant Surprise’
Report: LeBron Scanning Market to See If Players Will Join Him in Cleveland
- Updated: June 19, 2018
News around the NBA these days is generally concentrated on the excitement and mystery surrounding the upcoming 2018 NBA Draft. However, there is also the impending free agency of several superstars who may be moving to different addresses before the 2018-19 season starts.
Among these players, LeBron James is the biggest name whose future destination will send shockwaves across the league if he moves. He is expected to opt out of the $35.6 million player option in the final year of his contract with the Cleveland Cavaliers and become a free agent in July. Though many expect him to leave, there is a belief that James will be inclined to re-sign with the Cavs given the right situation.
In fact, James has reportedly already made some calls to get a feel for players who would want to join him in his quest for a fourth championship in Cleveland.
Reports of the Cavs looking for players to come to Cleveland are not just about trying to help LeBron. James is scanning the market and seeing if players want to join him in CLE. If no one wants to come to CLE, he’s probably gone. But this is why I’ve said there’s still a chance.
— Russillo (@ryenarussillo) June 18, 2018
Joe Vardon of Cleveland.com recently reported that the four-time MVP is in touch with the team’s front office lately as it seeks to improve its roster.
“According to sources, the Cavs’ front office and James’ camp have been in contact over the phone and in person, though there has been no meeting with James present, nor has there been any real dialogue as far as James’ future is concerned.
“Because the superstar himself doesn’t know.
“The Cavs have been signaling (strongly, in some cases) that they’re looking to upgrade their team from the group that was swept out of the Finals this month, whether James stays or goes.
“They are taking calls from teams looking to move up in the draft via trade, and are seeking proven NBA vets whose presence would both improve the roster and be enticing to James.”
In a perfect world, the Cavs could potentially draft an impact player and trade him to the San Antonio Spurs, along with a few other assets, in exchange for Kawhi Leonard. If they can keep Kevin Love while making the trade happen, then the Wine and Gold will most certainly be in play to secure the services of James for a few more years.
The draft will be held on Thursday and all eyes will be on the Cavs as to who they will select. If that turns out to be a player that the Spurs (or any other team looking to move a superstar) wants, then chances are huge that James stays in Cleveland to make another run at a championship or two in the coming years.