- Report: Darius Garland was ‘hurt’ when Cavs and Tristan Thompson parted ways
- Report: Nets to make run at acquiring Cavs backup center JaVale McGee
- Report: Cavs had chance to acquire DeAndre Jordan in 2018 with LeBron James on team
- Report: Some Cavs veterans ‘resented’ Collin Sexton in 2018, wanted to trade for one last shot at title
- Video: Jarrett Allen catches a body as he posterizes Nets defender
- Video: James Harden delivers filthy through-the-legs pass to Kyrie Irving
- Kevin Porter Jr. shares emotional post as he bids goodbye to Cleveland Cavaliers
- Report: Darius Garland and Dylan Windler expected to play Friday night vs. Nets
- Report: Cavs saw James Harden potential in Kevin Porter Jr.
- Report: Nets list Kevin Durant as questionable ahead of Friday’s game vs. Cavs
Report: Milwaukee Bucks Nearly Landed Kyrie Irving With Surprise Trade Package
- Updated: August 23, 2017
While Cleveland Cavaliers point guard Kyrie Irving has already been shipped to the Boston Celtics in exchange for Isaiah Thomas, Jae Crowder, Ante Zizic, and Brooklyn’s 2018 first-round draft pick, there’s one surprise team that nearly landed Irving according to Sports Radio Talk Show host John Gambadoro.
Suns were never really in on Kyrie but here is a nugget – Milwaukee was close – offered Brogdon, Middleton and a 1st round pick.
— John Gambadoro (@Gambo987) August 23, 2017
That team is the Milwaukee Bucks, who were a last-second contender and would’ve landed Irving had it not been for the Celtics. They reportedly offered 2017 NBA Rookie of the Year Malcolm Brogdon, Khris Middleton, as well as a first-round draft pick. Brogdon and Middleton would’ve certainly brought a whole different dimension to the Cavs, as both players are elite defenders at their positions and are no slouches on the offensive end of the floor.
What’s surprising is that the Phoenix Suns were never really in on an Irving trade, although they were probably the team mentioned most prior to Tuesday’s deal being made. The supposed trade scenario would’ve involved Suns point guard Eric Bledsoe and a young asset going to the Cavs in exchange for Irving.
Brogdon spoke with Slam in a recent interview about the Irving trade rumors, but did not acknowledge his potential involvement:
“You have to at least pay attention to it. We’re in this basketball world all the time, and we want to know who we’re going to be playing and how we’re going to match up against them.”