- Report: Some Cavs members thought Dylan Windler was ‘destined’ for starting spot last season
- Report: Cavs have been ‘impressed’ by Isaac Okoro in team training camp
- Report: Major update offered on Kevin Porter Jr.’s weapons and drug charges
- Cavs fans salivate via social media at thought of LeBron James retiring in Cleveland with son Bronny
- Cavs release first half of 2020-21 NBA schedule
- Report: Several key Cavs players miss Friday’s practice due to COVID-19
- Tristan Thompson explains how he’ll help take Celtics, Jayson Tatum to ‘whole different level’
- Report: Cavs guard Darius Garland put on insane amount of weight over summer
- LeBron James infers Cavs would’ve lost 2016 title to Warriors in bubble environment
- Report: Big part of Cavs winning 2016 title was team’s players taking dumps before games
Cavs Rumors: Cleveland Cavaliers and Jose Calderon Have Mutual Interest
- Updated: July 1, 2017
Though the Cleveland Cavaliers have been limited by salary-cap issues regarding their ability to plunge into the free-agent market, they appear to have one candidate in mind when it comes to obtaining a backup point guard. That player is Jose Calderon, who has 12 years of NBA experience with six different teams.
Cavs have targeted Jose Calderon to be their backup point guard, per source. The interest is mutual.
— Jason Lloyd (@JasonLloydNBA) July 1, 2017
The 6-foot-3 Calderon will be 36 years old when the 2017-18 season begins and has changed his address frequently over the past five seasons. During the 2016-17 campaign, he began the year with the Los Angeles Lakers before being released just after the trading deadline. The Golden State Warriors then signed him on March 1 before releasing him the following day. On March 4, he signed with the Atlanta Hawks and played with them for the remainder of the season.
Over the course of that tumultuous campaign, Calderon averaged 3.4 points and 2.1 assists, a drop from his career averages of 9.6 points and 6.2 assists. Meanwhile, his playing time for the 2016-17 season averaged 13.1 minutes per contest.