- Nate Robinson Addresses Cavs’ Need for Backup Point Guard
- Richard Jefferson Fires Retaliatory Shot at Stephen Curry’s ‘Champagne’ Comments
- Video: LeBron James Shuts Down Heckling Warriors Fan With Perfect Response
- LeBron James Addresses Draymond Green’s Dirty Flagrant Foul
- Cleveland Cavaliers vs. Golden State Warriors Game Recap: File and Forget
- Video: Richard Jefferson Goes at Draymond Green After Flagrant Foul on LeBron
- David Griffin Compares LeBron James to Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time
- Report: Carmelo Anthony Would Waive No-Trade Clause to Come to Cleveland
- Cleveland Cavaliers vs. Sacramento Kings Game Recap: Back on Track
- Kyrie Irving to Pay Tuition of 12-Year-Old Student at Former High School
Cavs News: Cavaliers Hire Mike Longabardi as Assistant Coach for Defense
- Updated: January 25, 2016
The Cleveland Cavaliers are adding Mike Longabardi to the coaching staff.
Longabardi, who previously served as the Phoenix Suns’ defensive coordinator, will take over the defensive specialist role that Tyronn Lue held before he accepted the head coaching position with the Cavaliers. The Suns released Longabardi last month due to a bench shake-up involving Jeff Hornacek’s staff.
Lue and Longabardi have previously worked together on the Boston Celtics’ coaching staff.
Longabardi also worked under Tom Thibodeau while with the Celtics and he is known for his ability to get the best defensively out of his teams. Washington Wizards center Marcin Gortat had commented that the Suns were vastly improved during the 2013-14 season due to Longabardi’s coaching:
“I would say the big success on that team is actually Mike Longabardi, the assistant coach from the Boston Celtics. He’s the defensive coordinator. He’s just an incredible defensive coordinator. He gets his team ready for every game and I think the success of the team, a lot goes to him. He knows how to win the games.”
Due to Lue and Longabardi’s familiarity with one another, the Cavaliers should only benefit as a result.