- Report: Cavs Release Updated Timetable for J.R. Smith’s Return
- Cavs Concerned Kevin Love Could Be in Line for ‘Extended Absence’
- Cavs News: Cleveland Cavaliers Trade Chris Andersen to Charlotte Hornets
- LeBron James Gives His Opinion on Derrick Williams’ Future With Cavs
- Report: Kevin Love Could Miss Extended Period of Time Due to Injury
- Cleveland Cavaliers vs. Denver Nuggets Game Recap: Bringing the D
- Report: Pat Riley Killed Two Trade Deals to Avoid Helping LeBron James
- Video: Colin Cowherd Reveals Why Cavs Will Once Again Win NBA Title
- Report: Cleveland Cavaliers Nearing a Decision on Forward Derrick Williams
- Cleveland Cavaliers vs. Oklahoma City Thunder Game Recap: Running Out of Gas
Cavs News: Cleveland Cavaliers Sign Forward Derrick Williams to 10-Day Contract
- Updated: February 9, 2017
Free agent Derrick Williams is signing a 10-day contract with the Cleveland Cavaliers, league sources tell @TheVertical.
— Shams Charania (@ShamsCharania) February 9, 2017
Williams became an unrestricted free agent on Wednesday after going unclaimed on waivers. He had played 25 games with the Miami Heat before being released.
The second overall draft pick in the 2011 NBA Draft averaged 5.9 points and 2.9 rebounds in his 25 games with the Heat, starting in 11 of them.
The 10-day deal, which counts for $57,672 against the Cleveland’s cap, provides Williams with some flexibility in case the Cavaliers decide to make an impactful trade before the Feb. 23 trade deadline. The Cavs are currently in a luxury-tax tier that applies a $2.50 tax charge for every dollar spent, so Williams’ contract will add more than $144k to the team’s year-end bill.