- Cavs News: Kevin Love to Miss Six Weeks After Undergoing Knee Surgery
- Report: Cavs Release Updated Timetable for J.R. Smith’s Return
- Cavs Concerned Kevin Love Could Be in Line for ‘Extended Absence’
- Cavs News: Cleveland Cavaliers Trade Chris Andersen to Charlotte Hornets
- LeBron James Gives His Opinion on Derrick Williams’ Future With Cavs
- Report: Kevin Love Could Miss Extended Period of Time Due to Injury
- Cleveland Cavaliers vs. Denver Nuggets Game Recap: Bringing the D
- Report: Pat Riley Killed Two Trade Deals to Avoid Helping LeBron James
- Video: Colin Cowherd Reveals Why Cavs Will Once Again Win NBA Title
- Report: Cleveland Cavaliers Nearing a Decision on Forward Derrick Williams
Cavs Rumors: Sources Reveal J.R. Smith’s Expected Return Date
- Updated: February 5, 2017
“I hear Smith should be back by April and able to play at least a few games before the playoffs open. The Cavs are pleased with his progress following thumb surgery, but don’t want to rush him. He’s important because he’s a strong, athletic presence on defense — along with having amazing 3-point range.”
The 6-foot-6 shooting guard fractured his thumb on Dec. 20 and was originally given a 12-to-14 week timetable. The Cavs end their regular season on April 12 against the Toronto Raptors and will play a total of seven games in April.
In his 21 games played this season, Smith had been averaging 8.6 points on 33.7 percent shooting from the field — well below his career averages.
A possible reason for his slow start could have been that he missed most of training camp as he was working out a three-year, $47 million guaranteed contract.