- Video: Kyrie Irving Has Difficulty Containing Excitement When Asked About Addition of Kyle Korver
- Video: J.R. Smith and His Wife Share Heartbreaking News via Social Media
- 7 Backup Point Guards Cleveland Cavaliers Could Be Looking to Target
- Cleveland Cavaliers vs. Brooklyn Nets Game Recap: Alpha Dogs
- Video: Kyrie Irving Caps Off Personal 12-0 Run With Unbelievable Circus Shot
- LeBron James: ‘We gotta get a point guard. It’s my last time saying it’
- Report: Frontrunner Emerges as Cavs Expected to Obtain Backup Point Guard Within Next Week
- Video: Kyle Korver Speaks for First Time on Trade to Cleveland Cavaliers
- Report: Cavs Have Made Final Decision on Jordan McRae’s Future With Team
- NBA Twitter Explodes Over Cavs’ Acquisition of Kyle Korver
Report: J.R. Smith to Skip Cavs Minicamp This Week Due to Contract Dispute
- Updated: September 19, 2016
Members of the Cleveland Cavaliers are getting together for a minicamp in Santa Barbara, CA this week, though the contingent will be missing one key piece from last season’s championship run: free agent shooting guard J.R. Smith.
ESPN’s Brian Windhorst reported on Monday that due to Smith’s current unsigned status, he’ll skip the get-together. The veteran has been seeking a multi-year deal that would pay him $15 million a year, with no apparent progress having taken place. The rumored holdup is reportedly focused on the number of years the team is willing to offer the 31-year-old guard.
While the expectation among most observers is that Smith will eventually sign with the Cavaliers, that deal may not come until much of the preseason training camp has been completed.
Those circumstances would be similar to last season’s, when restricted free agent Tristan Thompson also remained unsigned. The center missed last year’s minicamp that was held in Miami and the ensuing training camp. He eventually signed a multi-year deal with the Cavs just before the start of the regular season.