- Timofey Mozgov: ‘To be honest I miss Cleveland. Everything was special there’
- Channing Frye’s Reaction to the Kyle Korver Trade Is Pure Gold
- Video: Kyrie Irving Has Difficulty Containing Excitement When Asked About Addition of Kyle Korver
- Video: J.R. Smith and His Wife Share Heartbreaking News via Social Media
- 7 Backup Point Guards Cleveland Cavaliers Could Be Looking to Target
- Cleveland Cavaliers vs. Brooklyn Nets Game Recap: Alpha Dogs
- Video: Kyrie Irving Caps Off Personal 12-0 Run With Unbelievable Circus Shot
- LeBron James: ‘We gotta get a point guard. It’s my last time saying it’
- Report: Frontrunner Emerges as Cavs Expected to Obtain Backup Point Guard Within Next Week
- Video: Kyle Korver Speaks for First Time on Trade to Cleveland Cavaliers
Cam Newton Says LeBron James Is Better Than Stephen Curry
- Updated: June 10, 2016
Cam Newton of the NFL’s Carolina Panthers made his remarks about the two players during a Thursday radio appearance in Charlotte, NC. He noted that he was recently queried by someone about whether Curry was the best player.
“A person asked me, ‘Well, is Steph Curry the best basketball player on the planet?'” Newton said. “I said, ‘No.’ I said, ‘Steph Curry is the best basketball player on the best team on the planet.'”
Newton then went on to explain his reasoning for choosing James.
“I still think LeBron is (the best player). He’s 6-7, athletic, can do anything on the court. But LeBron is not on the best team. Going back to what I was saying, the power of team will always be better than the power of skill.”
Newton’s current popularity within the Charlotte community isn’t likely to be threatened by his opinion, even though Curry remains popular himself, having grown up in the area.
With regard to MVP awards, James leads Curry 4-2, having also been named MVP of the NBA Finals twice. In the latter category, Curry is still seeking his first award, with his current performance not putting him in line to capture it.