- Cavs Rumors: DeAndre Liggins Likely to Win Final Roster Spot on Cavaliers
- Video: LeBron James and Teammates Erupt as Cleveland Indians Advance to World Series
- J.R. Smith Responds to Alleged Racism Towards Jeremy Lin and Asian-Americans
- Cleveland Cavaliers vs. Washington Wizards Preseason Game Recap: Late Comeback Falls Short
- Video: LeBron James Drives the Lane and Throws Down Two-Handed Hammer
- Kyle Lowry Says He Knows How Raptors Can Beat Cavs in Playoffs
- Tyronn Lue Compares LeBron James and Kyrie Irving to Shaquille O’Neal and Kobe Bryant
- NBA General Managers Predict Who Will Win Fifth MVP Award in 2016-17
- Four Reasons the Cleveland Cavaliers Should Pursue Chris Bosh in 2017
- Iconic LeBron James Banner to Be Replaced in Downtown Cleveland
Cam Newton Says LeBron James Is Better Than Stephen Curry
- Updated: June 10, 2016
Cam Newton of the NFL’s Carolina Panthers made his remarks about the two players during a Thursday radio appearance in Charlotte, NC. He noted that he was recently queried by someone about whether Curry was the best player.
“A person asked me, ‘Well, is Steph Curry the best basketball player on the planet?'” Newton said. “I said, ‘No.’ I said, ‘Steph Curry is the best basketball player on the best team on the planet.'”
Newton then went on to explain his reasoning for choosing James.
“I still think LeBron is (the best player). He’s 6-7, athletic, can do anything on the court. But LeBron is not on the best team. Going back to what I was saying, the power of team will always be better than the power of skill.”
Newton’s current popularity within the Charlotte community isn’t likely to be threatened by his opinion, even though Curry remains popular himself, having grown up in the area.
With regard to MVP awards, James leads Curry 4-2, having also been named MVP of the NBA Finals twice. In the latter category, Curry is still seeking his first award, with his current performance not putting him in line to capture it.