- LeBron James Gives Surprising Response When Asked If He’d Ever Become NBA Coach
- Michael Phelps Gives LeBron James Ultimate Compliment After Clutch Performance in Phoenix
- Cleveland Cavaliers vs. Phoenix Suns Game Recap: Ice-Cold Bron
- Video: LeBron James Discusses What Kyle Korver Brings to the Cavs
- Timofey Mozgov: ‘To be honest I miss Cleveland. Everything was special there’
- Channing Frye’s Reaction to the Kyle Korver Trade Is Pure Gold
- Video: Kyrie Irving Has Difficulty Containing Excitement When Asked About Addition of Kyle Korver
- Video: J.R. Smith and His Wife Share Heartbreaking News via Social Media
- 7 Backup Point Guards Cleveland Cavaliers Could Be Looking to Target
- Cleveland Cavaliers vs. Brooklyn Nets Game Recap: Alpha Dogs
Cavs News: J.R. Smith and Mo Williams to Sit out Against Memphis
- Updated: October 12, 2015
Smith, whose acquisition in January from the New York Knicks in a three-team trade reinvigorated his career and helped jump start the Cavs, has a sore left hamstring. He came down with the injury last week before the preseason opener against the Atlanta Hawks and was held out of the game at Philadelphia.
Williams, who will likely begin the season as the starting point guard with Kyrie Irving sidelined, is doing fine physically. The Cavs are just giving him the night off as part of the team’s Body Maintenance and Management Program.
“It’s not a serious injury but on the other hand, it’s a tricky thing that you really have to be cautious about and that’s what we’ve been doing,” Blatt said. “We haven’t pressed it and we haven’t pushed it.”
The absences of Smith and Williams will likely result in more playing time against the Grizzlies for Jared Cunningham and Quinn Cook. Cunningham turned more than a few heads in the loss to the 76ers by going off for 31 points, including 21 before halftime. Cook played 15 minutes off the bench in that game but had a team-worst minus-16 rating while on the floor.