- Kyrie Irving Struggling With New Responsibility of Defending Elite Point Guards
- Video: LeBron James Takes Brutal Knee to Groin From Wizards Big Man
- Cleveland Cavaliers vs. Washington Wizards Game Recap: Cavs Unable to Contain Wizards Onslaught
- Report: LeBron James Officially Listed as Questionable vs. Washington Wizards
- Cleveland Cavaliers vs. Charlotte Hornets Game Recap: Cavs Clinch Central Division
- Kyrie Irving’s Nike Signature Shoe Now Top-Selling Basketball Sneaker
- Kyrie Irving’s Embarrassed Reaction to LeBron James Singing ‘Happy Birthday’ to Him on Bus
- Video: LeBron James Calls Out Certain Teammates for Lack of Toughness
- Video: Nuggets Reporter Sitting Courtside Trash Talks LeBron James During Game
- Cleveland Cavaliers vs. Denver Nuggets Game Recap: Defensive Woes Doom Cavs
Cavs Rumors: Timofey Mozgov Won’t Sign Extension This Summer
- Updated: August 4, 2015
According to Terry Pluto of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, the veteran center won’t sign an extension this summer.
The Cavaliers made the decision to pick up Mozgov’s $4.9 million option for next season, which is a bargain for a player of Mozgov’s stature. The Russian center was acquired by trade in the middle of the season last year from the Denver Nuggets.
Following his acquisition, the 7-foot center averaged 10.6 points and 1.2 blocks per game while establishing himself as the team’s starting center. With the team shorthanded in the postseason, Mozgov continued to post solid statistics, as he had per game averages of 10.6 points and 1.8 blocks.
While Mozgov is eligible for a long-term extension, he won’t sign one right now. The salary cap will increase drastically for the 2016-17 season, meaning the Russian center will be eligible to earn a lot more money signing a long-term deal next summer, rather than this one.
Having said that, the question becomes, is the 29-year-old capable of repeating his performance from last season?
If so, he’ll attract many suitors when he becomes a free agent next year. If he can’t repeat his performance, it’s a guessing game as to what type of money and demand Mozgov will attract in the near future.