- Nate Robinson Addresses Cavs’ Need for Backup Point Guard
- Richard Jefferson Fires Retaliatory Shot at Stephen Curry’s ‘Champagne’ Comments
- Video: LeBron James Shuts Down Heckling Warriors Fan With Perfect Response
- LeBron James Addresses Draymond Green’s Dirty Flagrant Foul
- Cleveland Cavaliers vs. Golden State Warriors Game Recap: File and Forget
- Video: Richard Jefferson Goes at Draymond Green After Flagrant Foul on LeBron
- David Griffin Compares LeBron James to Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time
- Report: Carmelo Anthony Would Waive No-Trade Clause to Come to Cleveland
- Cleveland Cavaliers vs. Sacramento Kings Game Recap: Back on Track
- Kyrie Irving to Pay Tuition of 12-Year-Old Student at Former High School
Cavs Rumors: Cavaliers Interested in Trading Brendan Haywood to Trail Blazers
- Updated: July 20, 2015
Steve Kyler of Basketball Insiders reports that the Cavaliers are interested in trading Haywood to the Portland Trail Blazers. In this trade scenario, the Cavs would get a trade exception that could be used during the season to acquire a player. The Blazers would likely be compensated with a draft pick and waive Haywood for free before his contract becomes guaranteed.
If Portland agrees, they get a draft pick and simply waive Haywood, so it costs them nothing – but Cavs get a year to use the TPE.
— Steve Kyler (@stevekylerNBA) July 19, 2015
The deal would be beneficial for the Cavaliers as they could add to their depth at midseason by using the trade exception. Considering a large reason why the Cavs were able to make a run to the NBA Finals last season was due to a midseason trade that netted them J.R. Smith, Timofey Mozgov and Iman Shumpert.
The trade exception next season could be the difference between a championship or just another deep playoff run.
Haywood’s $10.5 million contract becomes guaranteed if he’s not waived by August 2.