- Cavs Rumors: DeAndre Liggins Likely to Win Final Roster Spot on Cavaliers
- Video: LeBron James and Teammates Erupt as Cleveland Indians Advance to World Series
- J.R. Smith Responds to Alleged Racism Towards Jeremy Lin and Asian-Americans
- Cleveland Cavaliers vs. Washington Wizards Preseason Game Recap: Late Comeback Falls Short
- Video: LeBron James Drives the Lane and Throws Down Two-Handed Hammer
- Kyle Lowry Says He Knows How Raptors Can Beat Cavs in Playoffs
- Tyronn Lue Compares LeBron James and Kyrie Irving to Shaquille O’Neal and Kobe Bryant
- NBA General Managers Predict Who Will Win Fifth MVP Award in 2016-17
- Four Reasons the Cleveland Cavaliers Should Pursue Chris Bosh in 2017
- Iconic LeBron James Banner to Be Replaced in Downtown Cleveland
Cavs Rumors: Cavaliers Have ‘Huge Interest’ in Power Forward David West
- Updated: July 4, 2015
The Cleveland Cavaliers aren’t done making moves in free agency just yet.
According to Candace Buckner of The Indianapolis Star, the Cavs have a “huge interest” in free agent power forward David West. West opted out of his player option worth $12 million with the Indiana Pacers for next season to try to go to a team that can win a championship.
I’m hearing the Cleveland Cavaliers have “huge interest” in David West. Most definitely aligns with his desire to play for a contender
— Candace Buckner (@CandaceDBuckner) July 4, 2015
It was previously known that teams such as the San Antonio Spurs and Golden State Warriors were believed to be at the top of West’s wish list. The Washington Wizards are another team that’s targeting the 6’9″ forward.
You can now count Cleveland as one of those teams on top of West’s wish list.
The veteran power forward still can be a valuable role player to an NBA team as he averaged 11.7 points, 6.8 rebounds, and 3.4 assists in 28.7 minutes per game for Indiana last season.
Over his 12-year NBA career, West has per-game averages of 15.5 points and 7.2 rebounds on 48.9 percent shooting from the field.
With the uncertainty surrounding Tristan Thompson’s contract situation with the Cavaliers, West would provide a security blanket for Cleveland in the event Thompson doesn’t re-sign with the team.